This questionnaire will help you figure out whether or not you have Aspergers-like (high-functioning autistic) traits.
• Notice that other people seem bothered by your repetitive mannerisms to the point that they comment on them?
• Receive complaints that you lack empathy or don't understand where other people are coming from?
• Enjoy learning about mechanical topics?
• Feel compelled to follow a strict routine and feel extremely agitated when that routine changes?
• Find it difficult to share your interests with others in a way that holds their attention?
• Find that most of your conversations revolve around just one topic?
• Flap your hands when you are excited?
• Have a hard time looking people in the eye when you are talking to them or when they are talking to you?
• Have specific rituals that must be done at specific times or during specific situations?
• Like taking things apart, especially mechanical devices, to see the pieces inside of them?
• Often feel that you keep your emotions locked up inside without sharing them with those around you?
• Have certain rules that you must follow throughout the day?
• Have difficulty understanding the importance or purpose of friendship?
• Find yourself making frequent “social faux pas” (e.g., being so brutally honest with someone that they become offended)?
• Find yourself unable to make friends?
• Often feel that you're missing clues in other people's tone of voice that could help you understand how they are feeling?
• Feel that your relationships with others seem fake or stilted?
• Have problems discriminating between serious comments versus sarcastic ones?
• Notice that your interests/hobbies often seem to bore other people when you talk about them, or do they complain that you talk about them too much?
• Have certain movements that you do repetitively on a regular basis?
• Find that you are extremely interested in one subject more than anything else?
• Have problems understanding nonverbal social cues (e.g., facial expressions, body language)?
If you answered yes to most of these, you may have Aspergers or HFA. Speak with a professional who has experience in diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorders to find out for sure. This questionnaire is not enough for a conclusive diagnosis. Also, note that the disorder is often not diagnosed before kids reach elementary school age.
The Aspergers Comprehensive Handbook