If you've recently learned that your youngster has - or might have - Aspergers or HFA, you're probably wondering and worrying about what comes next. No parent is ever prepared to hear that a youngster is anything other than happy and healthy, and a diagnosis of Aspergers can be particularly frightening. You may be unsure about how to best help your youngster, or you may be confused by conflicting treatment advice. Also, you may have been told that Aspergers is an incurable, lifelong condition, leaving you concerned that nothing you do will make a difference.
- Accept your youngster – quirks and all
- Become an expert on your youngster
- Don’t give up
- Learn about Aspergers
- Provide structure and safety
- Find nonverbal ways to connect
- Create a personalized Aspergers treatment plan
- Find help and support
- Know your youngster’s rights
- Consider yourself a member of a very elite and interesting group of parents
Click here for the full article...